After receiving a great deal of feedback on the issue of KDE 3.5 inclusion in openSUSE 11.1, the KDE team has decided to take the following course of action.
- KDE 3.5 will be part of the DVD media for openSUSE 11.1, though we may need to slim the package selection for 3.5 sightly.
- KDE 3.5 will not be included on the main desktop selection page, but will be included with other desktop environments and window managers like Xfce, WindowMaker, etc.
- This will be the last release with KDE 3.5 packages maintained by the current KDE team. We are not opposed to continued development of KDE 3.5 by the community, however, and would be happy to work with contributors who are interested in packaging KDE 3.5.x for future releases of openSUSE.
- KDE 3.5 will not be included on 11.2 “official” media or in the release repository for 11.2, but the community certainly has the option of creating KDE 3.5 packages in the build service, and creating live CDs with KDE 3.5 packages for 11.2.
- The Novell KDE team will only be addressing P1 (high priority) bugs for KDE 3.5.x from this point forward. Again, this does not preclude community contributors from supporting KDE 3.5.x, and we encourage them to do so.
We’d like to thank all the people who helped provide constructive feedback while we evaluated the best course for the next release of openSUSE. While we know that no solution is guaranteed to make every user happy, we think that we’ve reached the best compromise for openSUSE 11.1 and beyond, to ensure a smooth transition.
Now that we have a clear path, we welcome any contributors who wish to help out. Please join the #opensuse-kde channel or speak up on the opensuse-factory list if you have any questions about how to get started with testing and packaging.