Today the openSUSE Travel Support Team opened the Travel Support Request Submission tool for requests related to the openSUSE Conference 2013 in Thessaloniki. The goal is to help everybody in and around openSUSE to be able to come to the openSUSE Conference! You don’t have to be one of the top 10 packagers to apply – if you’re translating, building a local community or helping out at the forums, we might still be able to offer you support, so apply!
When and how
The application period will be a little over week, starting on May 2nd and closing on May 10th. For the very first time, all requests will be managed through our brand new application that is be available at connect.opensuse.org/travel-support.
You will need an openSUSE Connect account in order to log in the application and apply for sponsorship.
A few reminders
- Please, read the Travel Support wiki page carefully before you apply.
- We want everybody to be there! Even if you think you would not qualify for travel support, just submit a request! If you don’t ask we can’t help you!
- The Travel Committee can reimburse up to 80% of travel and lodging costs. That includes plane ticket, train and bus tickets (no taxi), even car gas on some occasions, and hotel or hostel costs. Food and all local expenses are on you!
- The Travel Team won’t be able to book or pay anything in advance, reimbursement comes after the event is over, based on receipts you keep of your expenses.
- Again: no receipts = no money – it’s the rules!
- Those sponsored by the Travel Team have to write a blog or report on the event and are expected to be available for helping with tasks at the event where needed!
- Sponsorship decisions are influenced by the openSUSE history of the requester. Your involvement with openSUSE is really relevant!
- Having an abstract submitted for presentation at the conference is relevant as well. Note that the CfP is extended so there is still time!
- If you got support before and complied with all the requirements, this gets you bonus points too.
- The amount requested must be detailed according to your request, like the airport you will be departing from, sharing hotel/hostel rooms, costs associated with your trip.
- Try to get the best fares for tickets and lodging. Remember if approved at least 20% (and sometimes more) will be paid by you.
Our goal is to support as many people as possible. If you need support to make it to the event, PLEASE SEND IN A REQUEST! We will attempt to send the approvals before May 13th, 2013 so you can start booking. Book quickly, as we don’t cover anything over the previously agreed amount so higher prices are on you!
The conference is getting close and the deadline for travel support is tight so start searching for flights right now! Set up your openSUSE Connect account and send in a request as soon as possible!
We hope to see you there.
Your openSUSE Travel Support Team